Pandemic signals end of Mission Valley Has Talent events
| October 21, 2021 8:00 AM
During the spring of 2020, Mission Valley Has Talent held auditions for what would have been our third annual talent show to raise money for Helping Hands, a local nonprofit that assists individuals with food, transportation, personal care items, community cradles, resource referrals and many more items on an at-need basis.
Fourteen 2020 finalists were named and on the night of March 12 all finalists rehearsed and were ready for the next night’s talent show. During the night word spread that gatherings everywhere were canceling because of COVID-19, and we followed suit.
We have waited for the right time and place to finish the talent show. We looked to this fall, but again the virus raised its ugly head. As a result we have decided to end future talent shows and will resurrect the Spring Music Festival as a fundraiser for Helping Hands. Stay tuned for more information about the festival.
Expenses incurred for the 2020 MVHT event were paid, thanks to our sponsors. Helping Hands has been able to continue providing assistance with the financial help from donations and grants. MVHT thanks our sponsors, contestants, judges, donors and committee and event volunteers.
At a time when the public retreated to a place of safety, Helping Hands hit the ground running to respond to urgent needs as requests skyrocketed.
We were able to maintain a healthy helping hand for folks in need in Lake County by organizing a long list of volunteers and groups, connecting and referring to other institutions and agencies. With the office following safe pandemic protocol, we worked to continue providing assistance. Before the pandemic hit Helping Hands served an average of 200 folks each month. We now serve that number in one week.
Helping Hands list of actions:
• Baby Box Program, now the Community Cradle donates a baby box and baby supplies to new mothers and guardians in the county.
• Back-to-School project fills and distributes backpacks throughout the county to students returning to school.
• Since the pandemic hit requests have increased for gas, utilities, personal care supplies, etc.
• Help provide food and volunteers for Thanksgiving Dinner meal distribution in Polson and Ronan.
• Organizes the Salvation Army Bell Ringing in the county.
• Partners with Share the Spirit to support Christmas projects.
• "Shop & Drop" covid relief project that continues today.
For more information on our programs and how you can help, visit helpinghandsofmissionvalley.org.